British Woman Dies After Contracting Flesh-Eating Bacteria From 'Butt Lift' Surgery Gone Wrong


A British woman died in June after a Brazilian "butt lift" procedure left her with a serious bacterial infection, the Mirror reported on Nov. 23.

Jane Kiiza, 47, of Hampstead, North London, said she booked the cosmetic surgery with Dr. Shailesh Vadodaria, a top London surgeon.

The procedure, which was completed at Clementine Churchill Hospital in London on June 19, involved taking fat from the woman's back, abdomen, and thighs and injecting them into her buttock region.

Kiiza, an IT consultant and mother of one, said the surgery was something she decided to do for herself after her son left home after college.

Although the surgery initially appeared to be successful, Kiiza began experiencing extreme pain two days later due to a flesh-eating bacteria spreading rapidly through her body.

In a text message she sent to Vadodaria around 6:33 a.m. on June 22, the woman said, "Please call me. I had a very rough night. Where do I come see you, the Clementine Churchill or Harley Street [The doctor's clinic]?"

Kiiza was initially told to go to Clementine Churchill's emergency care center for treatment, but was later transferred to her local National Health Service hospital, Northwick Park.

She was given antibiotics to keep the infection from spreading, but then went into septic shock. Although surgeons managed to remove the bacteria from her body, she went into cardiac arrest and died before they could do surgery.

Analysis of swabs taken from Kiiza's body showed the infection was caused by Pseudomonas aeruginosa, a bacteria found in the environment that usually does not cause infections in healthy people.

The flesh-eating bacteria was reportedly only present in the woman's buttocks.

"I have never had any infection following fat extraction or liposuction so I was surprised that it had happened and that it had happened in the buttock area," Vadodaria said at Kiiza's coroner's court inquest.

Stuart Gould, an emergency surgeon at Northwick Park hospital, said the patient contracted the bacteria even though both sides of her body were thoroughly swabbed with iodine before the surgery at Clementine Churchill Hospital. The bags of iodine solution used during the procedure have tested negative for the bacteria.

The coroner presiding over the inquest said an independent investigation conducted by the hospital found nothing out of the ordinary and concluded that Kiiza had died from "complications of surgery."

Gould said the bacteria that killed the woman was capable of spreading more than an inch an hour.

"It is so devastating that radical treatment is the only option," he said.

According to Gould, there have only been five known cases of the extremely rare bacterial infection after liposuction and one known case following fat transfer in the entire world.

Kiiza is reportedly the first person to die from the bacteria in Britain. 

A study conducted by researchers at Columbia University in New York and University College London found that patients in the U.K. are four times more likely to die from major surgical procedures than their counterparts in the U.S., the Daily Mail reported.

Sources: Daily Mirror, Daily Mail / Photo credit: Daily Mirror 

Popular Video