Skip to main content

Child Dies After Choking On Popcorn

Mirranda Grace Lawson, 3, was happily eating popcorn and celebrating her mother's birthday in May when she started silently choking.

Little did Mirranda's mother Alison realize that one piece of popcorn would -- six months later in November -- take her child away forever, Little Things reports.

“At the end of Alison’s birthday, Mirranda ran into the living room," explains the Lawsons’ niece, Bobbie Jo Cordie, on a GoFundMe page. "Eyes huge, no sound. Time stopped. Those were the last moments they shared before Mirranda fell to the ground; they swept her mouth, nothing; [Mirranda's father] Pat started CPR. The ambulance got there, Mirranda’s heart stopped.”

It turned out Mirranda had inhaled a small popcorn kernel that ended up choking her.

At first, it looked like she would survive.

"Then ... there was hope," added Cordie. "Mirranda’s heart started beating, she was intubated and placed on a ventilator and transferred to Children’s Hospital at VCU."

But that might have been the last flicker of hope the family would have. Things turned worse, with the child eventually being declared brain-dead.

Hospital staff wanted to take her off life support, but still her family would not give up. They went so far as to plead to the Virginia court system to give Mirranda one more chance, costing tens of thousands in the process.

"We are fighting for more time to let her heal, we ask that you keep her in your prayers, keep the family in your prayers, and keep the specialists and care team in your prayers to make sound decisions for the well-being of Mirranda," said Cordie.

Sadly, Mirranda died before the court could reach a decision.

Mirranda's cause of death wasn't especially unusual. According to the American Academy of Pediatrics, choking on food, coins or toys is a leading cause of death among children under the age of 3. 

Mirranda's family is likely now well aware of these sad statistics. The heartbroken family is sharing Mirranda's story to warn other parents about choking hazards.

“This all was caused by a piece of popcorn. (Please share the danger of popcorn, someone may not know)” writes Cordie. 

Sources: Little Things, GoFundMe, American Academy of Pediatrics / Photo credit: GoFundMe

Popular Video