On May 1, Aimee Copeland was kayaking near the Little Tallapoosa River in Georgia, when she jumped on a homemade zip-line for a ride. The line snapped, Copeland fell and suffered a cut to her calf.
Doctors closed the wound with 22 staples, but a dangerous bacteria, called 'necrotizing fasciitis,' entered the wound.
Within days, the 24-year-old was in the Joseph M. Still Burn Center at Doctors Hospital in Augusta, GA, in grave condition.
According to the Associated Press, the infection has led to the amputation of her left leg. She is also expected to lose her hands and her remaining foot.
Copeland's family has used Facebook to keep family and friends up to date on her condition.
Necrotizing fasciitis is hard to treat because the outside of the wound appears to be healing, but the flesh-eating bacteria is attacking the deepest layers of skin.
Copeland's father, Andy Copeland said: "Aimee appears to have normal brain function at this time, which is something I'm celebrating because within Aimee we have a very compassionate heart and an incredible mind of intellect."