9-Year-Old Hospitalized After School's Health Clerk Gives Him the Wrong Medication


A 9-year-old student at Collins Elementary School in northern Kentucky was hospitalized after being given another student’s medication on Thursday.

Dylan Davis spent the night in the hospital after being mistakenly given 10 milligrams of Adderall and 10 milligrams of Tenex.

The third-grader said that he was in the school’s crowded cafeteria when the health clerk walked in asking for a boy named Jacob. The clerk mistook Dylan, who unrelatedly happened to have his hand in the air at that moment, for Jacob.

“She thought since he raised his hand, he was Jacob,” said Amanda Cullom, Dylan’s mother. “She said, ‘C’mon, come with me’ and took him to the nurse station.”

Dylan has recounted that she never asked him for his name, even when he questioned why he was being given the pills.

The boy followed her instructions and took the pills; he recalls hardly being able to stand up later. When the drugs kicked in, his blood pressure dropped and he began feeling listless, leading to his hospitalization.

“They wouldn’t let me take him home because one of the medicines has a long effect,” Cullom said of her son’s overnight stay. “He could stop breathing. His heart could stop. He could have seizures.”

Robert Davis, Dylan’s dad, blames the school for the dangerous mix-up.

“Being that it’s a child, you should have double-checked to make sure everything was right,” Davis said.

According to the Boone County district’s training, the health clerk should have asked the student to identify himself. Furthermore, the child’s photo is supposed to be attached to his or her medical records.

The district formally trains more than 600 employees every year on the procedures of correctly and safely dispensing routine oral medication.

Joan Fitzsimmons, the district’s head nurse, stated that the procedure is written by the Department of Kentucky Education. She also said that if a child ever questioned why he or she was being given a drug, she “would stop and double-check and just find out, make sure I got the right student.”

Nonetheless, these regulations were clearly violated, resulting in the dangerous drug misadministration that sent the young boy to the hospital.

Cullom has said that the school’s “procedures are all out of whack,” adding that “they need to fix it.”

“They made me feel down and my throat was getting clogged up and my face was all tingly,” Dylan said shortly after leaving Children’s Hospital on Friday. On Friday, as he played at home with his two sisters, he said he was “feeling a little better.”

The school district has issued a written statement saying, “The incident is under investigation. We have provided the family with student accident claim insurance paperwork.”

Dylan’s family wants the school’s procedures tightened to prevent this type of incident from ever happening again.

Sources: http://www.wlwt.com, http://www.wcpo.com, http://www.wcsh6.com

Photo Source: http://www.celebstoner.com


Popular Video