Exercising and staying in shape is a great way to adopt and keep a healthy lifestyle and improve your quality of life. But as we all know, exercising sometimes isn’t the easiest thing in the world to do and getting those 60 minutes in each day most days of the week can become tedious and challenging. Life gets in the way in the form of family, work, and friends. Staying on top of working out can definitely take extra effort but it is funny how some of my busiest and most successful clients in their careers are able to make it a top priority. It’s like everything else in life- you have choices to make every day and only you can make those choices. You have to commit to it and keep your workouts interesting and exciting to help keep you motivated to come back for more!
7 Ways to Stay Motivated to Exercise
1) Listen to music on an iPod or mp3 player while working out. Studies show that music helps you increase the intensity of your workout.
2) Workout with a friend. Working out with someone else can make things seem more enjoyable. You can push each other, spot each other, hold each other accountable, and keep each other motivated.
3) Workout with a personal trainer 1-2x’s a week. Training with someone who specializes in fitness can help you reach goals and hold you accountable. Since you are paying for their services you will be more likely to keep coming back for more. It’s like an appointment you can’t refuse! If you can’t afford it weekly, consider hiring one to help you create a challenging workout routine and then using them 1-2 x per month to change it up for you.
4) Switch up routines ever few weeks to not feel burned out or bored. Try something different or new every few weeks. Take part in exercise classes at your local gym or join a local running group.
5) Stay challenged. If working out just for the sake of working out isn’t enough to keep you motivated try to tackle a new challenge. Try running a 5k, ½ marathon, sprint triathlon, or participate in fitness competitions. When you have a reason for exercising your motivation can increase significantly!
6) Go easy and don’t overdo it in the gym. Although you want to make sure you are consistently challenging yourself you shouldn’t push too hard or overdo it, and give yourself a day or two to rest and recover each week. Aim to do some stretching prior to your workouts. Preventing injuries is key to being able to workout and exercise at your best. Take a week off every couple months to let your body heal up to come back even stronger and better.
7) Keep a few workout items at home and at work in case you aren’t able to make it to the gym or the weather is bad outside. A workout mat, speed bag, dumbbells, cones, resistance bands or a Swiss ball can be a great addition to a home gym.
Remember, exercise is essential for a healthy lifestyle and making things fun and fresh instead of boring and monotonous will keep exercise enjoyable and easy to do.
How do you stay motivated to exercise?