Skip to main content

60 Fall Ill After Eating At Chipotle

Unlike they do for guacamole, patrons at a Chipotle in Simi Valley, California, didn’t have to pay extra for a side helping of what appears to be food poisoning.

At least 60 people fell ill after dining at the Mexican food chain between Aug. 18 and 19, leading the restaurant to close its doors for a day while the Ventura County Public Health Department investigates the outbreak, The Los Angeles Times reported.

“I was throwing up a lot,” customer Kam Zreik told CBS Los Angeles, who also said he had a 101-degree fever and had to take fluids intravenously to treat his dehydration. “My aunt who works in the ER told me 19 people came in the night I got sick with food poisoning,” he added.

“The safety and well-being of our customers is always our highest priority. When we were contacted by customers who reported feeling poorly after visiting our restaurant in Simi Valley, we notified health department officials, immediately began a review of the incident, and have taken all of the necessary steps to ensure that it is safe to eat there,” Chipotle said in a statement to NBC Los Angeles.

During a health inspection on Aug. 24, investigators found some health code violations such as dirty restrooms, flies, equipment connected to sewer lines and unclean equipment. Some workers also didn’t have valid food handling certifications but Douglas Beach, manager for the Ventura County Environmental Health Division, told the Los Angeles Times that the restaurant still passed inspection.

Sources: CBS Los Angeles, NBC Los Angeles, Los Angeles Times / Photo credit: Michael Saechang/Flickr


Popular Video