Skip to main content

5-Year-Old Saves Parents Overdosing On Heroin

A 5-year-old boy saved his parents' lives after they became unconscious from overdosing on heroin.

The boy ran two blocks in the dark to his grandfather's house, and said, "Mom and dad's dead, mom and dad's dead," CNN reports. His grandfather, Kenny Currey, came with him to find the boy's parents passed out.

When police arrived at the home in Middletown, Ohio, they also found the boy's 3-month-old sister crying in a car seat.

According to the police report, the boy's father awoke after receiving a dose of Narcan, a drug used to revive those who have overdosed on opioids.

The children's mother was still unconscious after receiving several doses of Narcan, and was taken to the hospital. When she woke up later, she was arrested.

Both parents were charged with disorderly conduct and two counts of child endangerment, though police have said more charges could come.

"This 5-year-old child, a hero, saved 3 lives today," wrote the police department in a Facebook post. "How can something so awesome be so sad all at the same time."

"They are supposed to be her guardians and never anything bad happen to her," the department commented.

Officers brought the two children to the police station and awarded the boy with a badge for his brave actions. The boy and his baby sister are reportedly in their grandmother's custody.

In a similar story from Ohio in March, a 9-year-old girl saved her own life and the lives of her parents after they overdosed on heroin while driving, according to the New York Post.

"I'm so proud of her," said Anna Dove, the girl's grandmother. "She saved two lives and her own."

The 9-year-old was in the back seat as her mother drove, but realized that her mom, Paula Smith, was passing out and her father, Charles Dove, was already unconscious. The car was reportedly still moving. She frantically took one of their phones to call Anna, who contacted authorities.

"She was very frantic, scared, crying, screaming, 'Grandma, I'm going to die,'" Anna recalled.

After, the girl called 911, and Smith managed to pull over in a parking lot, where police found them.

The parents were revived with Narcan and have both been charged, according to WLWT.

Ohio has had an epidemic of heroin use, with a number of parents overdosing while watching their children. Earlier in 2017, an Ohio coroner's office said it didn't have room to store all the bodies from overdose deaths from the drug.

Sources: CNN via WPIX, New York Post, WLWT / Photo credit: Zaldylmg/Flickr

Popular Video