ENERGY! If you only had more, you'd be set and ready to tackle your workouts and hit those goals. But somewhere during the day, it leaves you, along with your motivation. Feeling sleepy in the middle of the day is actually normal, but what you're eating and how you're moving, or not moving, may make your slump worse.A few small changes could keep your enthusergy UP and your engine burning!
5 WAYS TO RECHARGE!
1. Eat Protein! What are you packing for lunch? Without protein and good carbs, your blood sugar is likely to take a dive that's hard to recover from. Eating a healthified lunch keeps your blood sugar steady and and your brain more alert.
2. Snack. These can be small meals with the same balanced nutrients as your main meals. Again, this keeps your blood sugar level and energy steady. But it can also be snack-like. Try a plain rice cake with peanut butter or veggies and hummus; the protein/carb combo.
3. Move. Get up and move throughout your day. If you sit at a desk all day, take a walk, grab some air. Moving more pumps more oxygenated blood throughout the body. Studies show this lifts mood and energy.
4. Stay hydrated. One of the quickest ways to an energy sink-hole is dehydration. Keep water with you all the time, in your purse or at your desk.
5. Sleep. Seems obvious, but lack of sleep not only zaps energy, it can stunt fitness goals, and kill alertness and motivation. Even if you eventually feel "awake", if you're not getting a minimum of about 7 hours, you'll have a hard time fighting off fatigue.
Examine what you eat throughout your day. Sugar foods and processed high carb foods are energy destroyers and we can all use as much VIGORgy as we can get.
by Heather Frey
Founder of SmashFit.com, Fitness X-pert for the TV show Miami Moms on NBC Miami Nonstop, CPT, Writer, Artist, Fitness Model, National Figure Competitor
Visit SmashFit.com for more fitness information and motivation. Follow SmashFit on Twitter (http://twitter.com/#!/SmashFit) and "Like" SmashFit on Facebook (www.facebook.com/SmashFit). Connect with founder Heather Frey here: www.facebook.com/HeatherSmashFit.