Skip to main content

10-Year-Old Girl Reportedly Paralyzed After Flu Shot (Video)

A Florida girl suddenly became paralyzed after getting a shot, and now, her mother is speaking out about their experience.

For nearly a year, 10-year-old Marysue Grivna has been completely paralyzed, and her mother says it all started just a couple of days after she got a flu shot when her parents discovered her in her bed unable to move or speak. They called an ambulance, and once she was looked at by doctors, the young girl was diagnosed with acute disseminated encephalomyelitis, or ADEM.

ADEM is a rare viral brain infection that exhibits similar symptoms to multiple sclerosis and can be caused by vaccinations. Marysue’s mother says that doctors won’t confirm or deny that the 10-year-old’s condition was caused by the flu vaccine, but all signs seem to point to it being the cause.

Image placeholder title

“Her father Steven and I are certain,” said Carla Grivna, Marysue’s mother, “due to all of our research, that this was what caused Marysue’s condition.”

Still, doctors note that the chances of getting ADEM from the flu vaccine are slim.

“It can just appear out of the blue or after maybe a surgical procedure,” said Dr. Juan Dumois of All Children’s Hospital. “It's otherwise unexplainable. If I get the flu I'm far more likely to get ADEM than from the flu vaccine.”

The family is currently raising money to help build a room big enough to fit the hospital bed that Marysue is sadly confined to.

Sources: Daily Mail, WTSP

Photo Credit: Facebook


Popular Video