A mother says her 10-year-old daughter died after doctors failed to detect her deadly cold sores.
Briony Caitlin Klingberg suffered from vomiting and fevers before visiting multiple doctors who could not figure out what was wrong, Little Things reports.
When she started to experience trouble swallowing, her mother, Bridget, took Briony right back to the doctors, who called the ulcers in the back of her throat cold sores.
Diagnosing her with a throat infection, they sent the child home with antibiotic and a follow-up appointment for the following week.
It was an appointment Briony never made.
Only a few days later, she suffered organ failure and died.
“You trust that if she’s sick enough, they would say she needs to stay in," said her heartbroken mother.
What doctors failed to detect was that Briony was actually suffering from an untreated herpes simplex virus.
Only after the child died did the doctor who treated Briony see it.
The unidentified doctor explains he had never seen herpes simplex virus in the back of somebody's throat, and hence did not detect it in time.
“I’m reminded of Briony and her illness every time I see a child… any time I look into anyone’s throat,” he said.
It's not the first time a child died from the virus, Yahoo! News reports.
Eloise Pugh died at only 24 days old after contracting herpes simplex virus from a visitor who kissed her. The virus spread to her brain, killing her shortly after she left the hospital and went home.
While the virus is perfectly treatable among adults, it is far more dangerous among babies and children.
“This is one of those many occasions where prevention really is the only cure," Obstetrician Dr. Gino Pecorar said.
The heartbroken mother, Sarah Pugh, was shocked to learn a simple cold sore could take her child away.
She is now warning other parents to be careful around their babies and children.
"Be really careful and just make sure people don't kiss them or touch them, and yeah just make sure you wash your hands continuously," she said.