Tyler Perry’s Atlanta studios caught fire on Tuesday evening, burning through the building’s exterior.
Dorothy Ware, a resident who lives in a nearby high-rise apartment, said, “It was all in flames. The building started popping. Whatever the fire was hitting, was blowing up. There were plenty of sparks coming over here where we are”.
Over 100 fire-fighters responded to the blaze and were able to limit the damage to the multi-million dollar studio. The studio complex consisted of a 200,000-square-foot studio, five sound stages, a 400-seat theater, a chapel, dining hall, gymnasium and five-acre pond.
An investigation as to what started the fire is underway.
Perry was actually working in the complex last night but was not harmed in the fire.
The filmmaker was named the highest earning man in 2011 by Forbes, who estimated he had earned $130 million in just one year.