Jessica Simpson has become known for not caring what she wears in public, so it doesn’t make any sense that she should be allowed to tell anyone how to dress. Not even a dog.
But I digress, apparently there are people in the world who aren’t completely repulsed by her fashion sense (or lack thereof). Some have even called her a “style icon”. Yeah, okay…we’ll bite.
According to reports, sales from her fashion collection have neared the one billion dollar mark. Her collection consists of shoes, fragrances, accessories, outerwear and sportswear. In 2010, she has reached the milestone of selling about $750 million in merchandise. I’m convinced, someone very smart is running her company for her.
I find it hard to believe that people buy her clothes based on any public image that she portrays. She famously told her ex-husband, Nick Lachey, that she was unsure if “Chicken of the Sea” was chicken or actually tuna. You can’t tell me she has the brains enough to run a complete fashion enterprise…
Some more facts about Simpson’s clothing empire:
• Jessica Simpson Sportswear and Jeanswear are expected to do from $150 million to $200 million in retail sales within the next two years.
• The Jeanswear collection can be found in 650 department store doors, including Macy’s, Dillard’s, Belk, and Bon-Ton.
• Six hundred people once lined up to see Simpson make a personal appearance at Belk.
• Simpson’s net worth is estimated at $100 million.
• Jack Gross from the Jones Group, which licenses her Jeanswear, says, “Fifteen-, 16-year-olds and 40-year-olds like her. Sometimes she has missteps, and they identify with her.”
• The latest addition to her empire — sportswear — is inspired by Isabel Marant, Theory, and Sportmax, but with a “younger” attitude. Presumably one also suited to 40-year-olds.
Ugh. How does she do it? I’m dying to know. And Jess, it’s TUNA. Moron.
image credit: cbs local