Woman Ashamed To Leave House After Getting Fake Tan (Photos)

Author:
Publish date:
Woman Ashamed To Leave House After Getting Fake Tan (Photos) Promo Image

A woman in England is making news for getting a tan that's darker than dark.

That's because she used a tanning mousse product called "Darker Than Dark," sold by the St. Moriz company, reports the Daily Mail. 

Ebony Foley, 20, says that she got so dark that she was embarrassed to leave her house for a week. The date of the incident is not readily available.

"My body looked fine but my face turned black instantly," she told The Sun. "It was funny, people were saying I changed race for a couple of hours. Everybody at work was laughing their heads off." 

So she did leave the house, at least to go to her job, but socializing was out of the question. "I was supposed to be going out with the girls for cocktails in Manchester on Saturday but am not bothering now," she said. "My arms are still black."

Image placeholder title

The irony of her first name was not lost on her co-workers. "People at work were saying it was so funny as my name is Ebony."

Her boyfriend's son didn't think it was very funny, though, because he reportedly burst into tears when her face turned black.

"My boyfriend Dean was literally scraping it off my face with the hard bit of a sponge," she explained. "It was coming off like dirt. I use false tan all the time, but this has never happened before. I get spray tans all the time but I thought I would do this one myself."

Foley has vowed never to use "Darker Than Dark" again. She might be better off trying the St. Moriz "Gradual Tanning Lotion" instead.

Image placeholder title

Fortunately, her darker-than-dark tan probably did no harm, according to the opinion of Dr. David J. Leffell, professor of dermatology and surgery at the Yale School of Medicine. "Most dermatologists agree that the spray-on tans or the tans in a bottle, which basically cause coloration of the outer layer of the epidermis -- the stratum corneum -- are safe and effective," Leffell told HuffPost.

However, "tans in a bottle" are not entirely risk-free, according to a review of common tanning methods in the Journal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology. 

The article, titled "A Review of Common Tanning Methods," explains that many topical self-tanners contain dihydroxyacetone (DHA), which has not been approved by the United States Food and Drug Administration (FDA) for use on non-skin areas, such as the eyes, lips, and mucous membranes. 

Therefore, the FDA has not approved DHA for use in commercial spray-tanning booths due to the potential exposure to such non-skin body parts.

The doctor-authors also note that side effects from DHA-containing spray tans include rashes, cough, dizziness, and fainting. In addition, some physicians suspect that chronic exposure to spray tans may increase the risk of pulmonary disease, including asthma, chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, and cancer. 

Sources: Daily Mail, The Sun, HuffPostJournal of Clinical and Aesthetic Dermatology, St. Moriz / Featured Image: Pixabay / Embedded Images: Ebony Foley/Facebook via Daily Mail

Popular Video