Skip to main content

Woman Discovers Deadly Spiders' Nest On Banana (Photos)


A U.K. mother was horrified to discover that the banana she was about to feed her young daughter was infested with spiders.

Maria Layton, 43, said she made the terrifying discovering when she opened a bag of bananas that she had purchased from a Tesco grocery store. “Siri asked for a banana. The first banana had a funny bit on it, so I got another one for her and that was when I found the massive spider cocoon,” she said.

Image placeholder title

It turns out that the specific spider found by Layton is the Brazilian Wandering Spider, a venomous creature found mostly in South America. Its bite is considered extremely dangerous to humans. “There was spider web on the other bananas too. I was so scared — I don’t like spiders at the best of times, but have read about Brazilian Wandering Spiders — and was very frightened about the potential threat to my family.”

Image placeholder title

When Layton noticed the spider beginning to unfurl, she put the banana in her freezer hoping the temperature would kill it. She then called the Tesco that she bought the fruit from, and was told that she would need to return it in order for them to investigate. “Tesco were a bit useless, I was really concerned about the possibility of this dangerous spider and spider eggs in my house and really wanted some helpful advice on how to act,” she said. “I wasn’t sure if other spiders or eggs had escaped when I ripped the bag open.”

A spokesperson for Tesco confirmed that Layton would have to return the fruit before they could take further action. “Our policy is for the customer to take the product back to the store where it can be investigated. We don't have a service whereby someone can go out to the home."

Image placeholder title

Sources: The Blaze, Bristol Post / Photo Credit: the,


Popular Video