An electric shock killed 23 people and wounded 30 more, who were celebrating a wedding in Ain Badr village, which is southwest of Dhahran-Dammam-Khobar, Saudi Arabia, on Wednesday.
Apparently celebratory gunfire at the wedding party accidentally brought down an electric cable that touched the metal door of the house where the wedding was being held, reports Reuters.
Eastern Province official Abdullah Khashman told Reuters: "At the wedding, the cable fell on a metal door and the 23 people who died were all electrocuted."
Most of the casualties were women, who died as they attempted to escape through the electrified metal door.
A photograph (above) of the aftermath of the accident shows a courtyard, fallen chairs and a pole in the middle supporting cables with lightbulbs.
Ironically, Saudi Arabia had banned the shooting of guns at weddings, a popular tradition, about a month ago.
Eastern Province governor Prince Mohammed bin Fahd ordered an investigation into the incident, reports the official Saudi Press Agency.