After Lance Armstrong confessed to illegal doping in an interview, many speculated whether he would face criminal charges. But US prosecutors said Tuesday that they have no plans of pressing charges against him.
Andre Birotte, an attorney who led a federal investigation into the cyclist, said they would continue to look at the situation, but said as of now, they have not changed their decision.
"We made a decision on that case, I believe, a little over a year ago," he said.
"Obviously we've been well aware of the statements that have been made by Mr. Armstrong and other media reports. That has not changed my view at this time. Obviously we'll consider - we'll continue to look at the situation, but that hasn't changed our view as I stand here today."
Armstrong, 41, was stripped of his seven Tour de France titles last year after the US Anti-Doping Agency collected compelling testimony that he was the ring-leader of a doping conspiracy.
Though he had claimed innocence for years, he finally admitted to doping during an interview with Oprah Winfrey. This led to many believing he should be charged for his actions and should be forced to pay back prize money and former payments.
One company has already demanded he pay back $12 million in bonuses it paid to Armstrong.
Dallas insurance company SCA Promotions held back a bonus of $5 million after he was accused of doping in 2004.
Armstrong took them to court and won the case, as the company's contract did not say anything about doping.
Armstrong's attorney Tim Herman said the cyclist should not pay back any money he has earned.
"My only point is no athlete ever, to my understanding, has gone back and paid back his compensation," Herman said.