A truck driver who was caught in the middle of protests in Charlotte, North Carolina, who told a reporter that she feared for her life, has confirmed that she is safe.
The Sept. 21 protests, which were sparked by the death of Keith Lamont Scott, a black man who was shot by a police officer, led to the shooting death of one person and injuries to others. The truck driver, whose name was given only as Connie, told reporter Joe Bruno that she feared for her life as rioters looted cargo from her truck and burned it, according to CDL Life.
"This was an absolutely horrifying interview," tweeted Bruno. "She kept asking me where police are. She's trapped inside as people destroy her truck and cargo."
Bruno also tweeted that Connie had told him, "I understand they want to make a statement but they are hurting innocent people trying to make a living."
Bruno later tweeted a text he received from Connie, reporting that she was safe and thanking him for his concern for her. "Mr. Bruno, this is the lady from the truck last night," read the message. "I wanted to let you know that we got our deliveries made, and are back home here in Concord safe and sound."
The protests were sparked by outrage over the death of Keith Lamont Scott, the latest in a string of highly publicized police shootings of black men in the U.S., CNN reports. Scott's family had said that the man was reading a book in his car when police officers approached and later shot him.
Police Chief Kerr Putney contradicted this version of events, saying that Scott had been armed, and that no book was found inside of Scott's car. Putney said that Scott had been shot by a black officer when he had reportedly refused to put down his gun after multiple requests to do so. The gun was recovered from the scene, according to Putney.
Charlotte Mayor Jennifer Roberts called for the demonstrators to stop, citing the NAACP as well as Scott's family, who urged protestors to refrain from violence.
"Go home and tell everyone violence is not the answer," said Roberts, who added that the rioters were only a small group out of the protestors. "The investigation is ongoing and it will be transparent."
Pat McCrory, North Carolina's governor, said that the state will be sending an increased number of troopers from the highway patrol to Charlotte.
"Any violence directed toward out citizens or police officers or destruction of property should not be tolerated," said the governor.