Defense attorneys for George Zimmerman are backing off claims that a video found on the cellphone of slain Florida teen Trayvon Martin depicts two of Martin's friends beating up a homeless man.
Attorney Mark O'Mara made that accusation last week but is now admitting that the video shows two homeless men fighting over a bicycle.
According to a statement, Martin and a friend came upon the fight and Martin merely recorded it.
O'Mara said that the mistake was unintentional and that he was not happy about it. "We have been committed to disputing misinformation in every aspect of this case, not causing it," the statement said.
Benjamin Crump, an attorney for Martin's family, released a prepared statement from a public relations firm in which he described O'Mara's statement as a "so-called apology." Crump once again said that Zimmerman's lawyers have spent weeks on "a despicable campaign to assassinate the character of a dead teenager."
Zimmerman's second-degree murder trial is scheduled to begin June 10 in Sanford, Fla.
Zimmerman, a neighborhood watch volunteer, is accused of shooting Martin, 17, to death in Sanford on Feb. 26, 2012. Zimmerman has claimed he acted in self-defense and that Martin, who was unarmed, attacked him and broke his nose.
Prosecutors say Zimmerman profiled the black teenager, assuming he was about to commit a crime, followed him and killed him, The LA Times reported.
Although the video of the homeless men has been reported on previously, it has not been released as of yet.