Teen Sends Bathtub Pic, Dies Moments Later (Photos)

Teen Sends Bathtub Pic, Dies Moments Later (Photos) Promo Image

Authorities have released the final photo texted by a teenage girl before she was electrocuted on July 9.

Madison Coe, 14, died when she was using her Samsung Edge Plus while bathing, reports KRQE. “It’s not uncommon for her to spend two hours to two and a half hours in the bathtub,” explained her stepmother, Felisha Owens.

The tragedy happened at Madison's father's house in Lovington, New Mexico, where the Texas teen was spending the summer, notes the New York Daily News.

According to police, Madison took the photo and sent it to a friend just before she died. In the snapshot, her phone’s charger can be seen plugged into an extension cord, which is lying on a towel over a bath mat.

By a cruel irony, she captioned the photo: "When you use an extension cord so you can plug your phone in while you’re in the bath."

Image placeholder title

The Lovington Police Department explained that the cord was plugged into a non-grounded outlet with no circuit-breaker. Although Madison's cell phone was never actually in the water, officials say she touched a frayed part of the extension cord that had water in it, which was enough to cause electrocution.

Her parents are publicizing the tragedy in an attempt to raise awareness about the potential danger of texting while bathing.

“She had her phone plugged into the extension cord and it was by the bathtub and I did it, she did it, we all had sat there in the bathtub with our phones plugged in and played our games,” explained her stepmother to KRQE.

"You don’t think to sit in there with a 14-year-old. You don’t micro-manage your kids anymore, but maybe you should?" she added. "The bathroom is a place for showers and personal time and your phones don’t belong in the bathroom. Electricity and water do not mix. All it takes is a drop."

Image placeholder title

“She was my everything,” said Madison's dad, Logan Coe, summing up the tragedy.

In a 2013 survey, the Harris polling company found that 91% of Gen-Y's use their phones in the bathroom, reports the website Addiction Tips. Citing the same poll, the Daily News adds that 12% of Americans use their cell phones while in the shower.

"People view their smartphones as an extension of themselves, taking them everywhere they go -- even the most unorthodox places -- from the shower to their commute, from the dinner table to the bedroom," said Marc Barach of Jumio, Inc., which commissioned the survey.

Sources: New York Daily News (2), KRQE, Addiction Tips / Photo Credit: Pixabay, Facebook, Lovington Police Department via New York Daily News.

Popular Video