13-Year-Old Finds Cell Phone On Fire Underneath Her Pillow (Video)


A 13-year-old Texas girl was shocked to discover that her cell phone was smoldering beneath her pillow and sheets as she woke up one morning.

Ariel Tolfree says that she was texting before she went to bed one night, and after falling asleep, she was suddenly awoken by a strange smell.

“I didn’t think much of it, so I went back to sleep and then I woke up again and it was more prominent,” said Tolfree to KDFW.

Image placeholder title
Image placeholder title
Image placeholder title

When she started to smell it even more later on, she lifted up her pillow to find that her Samsung Galaxy S4 smartphone had partially melted and was burning her sheets and pillow. Tolfree’s father says he believes that the phone’s battery got overheated during the night, which caused the battery to swell and ultimately caused a small fire. It’s reported that the battery in the phone was a replacement and not a Samsung brand battery.

After the story went viral, Samsung says they have asked for the girl to mail them her phone to aid in their investigation, and they have offered to pay for another phone as well as new bedding, a mattress, sheets, and pillows.

The Samsung’s phone manual actually has a section warning consumers not to cover up their phone with bedding because of the chance that it could cause a fire. Still, Tolfree’s dad Thomas says he thinks the warning should be easier to find instead of just in the manual.

Sources: Daily Mail, KDFW, WGHP


Popular Video