The death of a Texas teen who was found dead with several snake bites has been ruled a suicide.
An autopsy revealed 18-year-old Grant Thompson killed himself in July by inflicting snakebites on his arms, according to the American-Statesman.
Thompson was found in a parking lot in North Austin on July 14 with snakebites on each arm.
The report claimed the bites “appeared to be intentional injection sites” and the wounds showed no signs that Thompson tried to pull the snake away as it bit. The report added he "had a history of suicidal ideation."
Cobra venom was found in Thompson's system. The autopsy revealed the cause of death was cardiac arrest, as the venom blocked nerve transmissions and led to paralysis.
Thompson's passion for animals began after a trip to the Austin Zoo when he was 4 years old. He was an aspiring animal expert who enjoyed working with and caring for animals.
Thompson worked at a pet store owned by his mother. She had planned for Thompson to take over the business.
“Grant died surrounded by animals that intrigued and fascinated him,” his obituary read.
"His broken-hearted family is humbled and thankful for the short time they shared with Grant on this earth and draws strength from knowing we will see Grant in every living thing and feel him with the kindness we show everyone around us."
According to the American Foundation for Suicide Prevention, 41,149 suicides were reported in 2013, making it the 10th leading cause of death for Americans.