U.S. District Judge Shira Scheindlin ordered the New York Police Department to end its controversial "stop-and-frisk" program in August because the policy overwhelmingly targeted minorities.
Since the ruling, shootings increased nearly 13 percent, in contrast to September 2012, claims the NYPD.
New York City Mayor Michael Bloomberg supports the "stop-and-frisk" policy and asked the judge for a delay.
However, Judge Scheindlin wrote in her ruling:
Ordering a stay now would send precisely the wrong signal. It would essentially confirm that the past practices, resulting in hundreds of thousands of stops, overwhelmingly of minorities, that resulted in little or no enforcement action or seizure of contraband were justified and based on constitutional police practices. It would also send the message that reducing the number of stops is somehow dangerous to the residents of this city.
Seizures of firearms are also down, with 239 guns taken by police between August 10 and September 8, compared with 289 over the same period last year, notes the New York Post.
An unidentified police department source told the New York Post that police are reluctant to stop and search because "they're scared of being sued. They feel as if the city is not going to indemnify them in lawsuit."
However, Judge Scheindlin said she did not order an actual end to the "stop-and-frisk" program, but said it was to be carried out legally.
She also ruled that a monitor be appointed to ensure the program's legality, a facilitator conduct meetings in neighborhoods where stops often happen and for some officers to wear cameras.
Rather than use "stop-and-frisk" legally as Judge Scheindlin ordered, the city remains committed to reversing her rulings as quickly as possible.
Source: New York Post