The suspected shooters in the Dec. 2 San Bernardino, California, mass shooting had amassed an arsenal of more than 6,000 rounds of ammunition and may have been planning to carry out more attacks, authorities said.
Police told ABC News that investigators found more than 1,600 rounds of ammunition with Syed Rizwan Farook and Tashfeen Malik after the two were killed in a shootout with police. Authorities reportedly found another 4,500 rounds at their home, along with a dozen devices described as pipe bombs.
Police believe Farook, 28, and Malik, 27, were the two who opened fire on an office holiday party at the Inland Regional Center.
“They sprayed the room with bullets,” San Bernardino Police Chief Jarrod Burguan, said of the shooting, according to The Washington Post.
Investigators now believe the duo fired between 65 and 75 rounds into the room where the party was. Fourteen people were killed and 21 were injured.
Farook’s brother-in-law said the two were married two years ago, but police have reportedly not confirmed that, ABC reports.
Malik and Farook were killed in a gun battle with police a few hours after the shooting. Police fired around 380 rounds into the couple’s rented black Ford Expedition, the NY Daily News reports. The couple is believed to have fired 76 rounds from the vehicle, with Malik firing first, according to NY Daily News.
At that scene, police uncovered 1,400 rounds of .223 caliber ammunition for the couple’s two assault-style rifles, and more than 200 rounds of 9 mm ammunition for two handguns.
All of the guns and ammunition had been purchased legally, authorities said.
The extent of the arsenal coupled with the additional rounds and explosives found at the couple’s home has some wondering if they might have had more killing planned.
“Clearly, they could have continued to do another attack,” Burguan said Dec. 3, according to NY Daily News. “We intercepted them before that could happen, fortunately.”