Skip to main content

Puppy Swallows Two Large Toys, Undergoes Surgery To Have Them Removed

Michael Ehrlich grew concerned when his 6-month-old puppy, Jasper, wasn’t able to keep food down.

Ehrlich took Jasper to the Veterinary Specialty & Emergency Center in Levittown, Pennsylvania, where veterinarians discovered the pup had eaten his dog toys.

"I was worried sick," Ehlrich told WTXF. "As soon as I saw the X-rays, I was devastated. I lost it in the waiting room."

Image placeholder title

Dr. Megan Mackalonis found two large plastic balls that were about the size of tennis balls, which belonged to Ehrlich’s girlfriend’s pooch, in Jasper's stomach, according the center. The balls had to be surgically removed.

Dr. Scott Joudrey performed the surgery on Dec. 26, The Associated Press reports.

"I've seen dogs eat a lot of strange things,” Joudrey told WTXF. "This is probably one of the biggest things I've seen a dog swallow. And to swallow one and decide he wanted to eat the other one as well."

Jasper is now recovering and back on his paws with a new lease on life.

"He was going to pass away within a week,” Ehlrich said. "He would have died of a starvation because the balls were lodged in his stomach."

Last year, the center treated both a bulldog that swallowed three pacifiers and a mixed-breed dog that ate a pair of calf-high boots, according to AP.

“Dogs eat crazy things,” Joudrey said. “I’m just glad we could help.”

Sources: AP via Fox News, WTXF / Photo credit: WTXF

Popular Video