Protesters Interrupt CNN Terror Attack Coverage - Opposing Views

Protesters Interrupt CNN Terror Attack Coverage

Author:
Publish date:
Protesters Interrupt CNN Terror Attack Coverage Promo Image

As CNN provided live coverage of the Oct. 31 terror attack in New York City, several protesters chanted "fake news" at CNN's cameras.

Anderson Cooper's reporting at the scene of the Manhattan shooting that left eight dead and 12 injured was interrupted by protesters chanting "fake news" and holding signs criticizing the news organization, according to the Daily Mail.

The group of protesters was reportedly led to by Trump supporter Laura Loomer, who has called herself an "independent investigative journalist."

During the broadcast, a man held a sign behind CNN reporters that read "CNN is ISIS," comparing the news network to the terrorist group.

ISIS has yet to claim responsibility for the deadly attack, in which the suspect, Sayfullo Saipov, is alleged to have used a truck to mow down the victims. Social media channels sympathetic to ISIS have praised the attack and claimed Saipov as a "brother." Saipov is also reported to have had pro-ISIS propaganda with him during the attack.

Image placeholder title

According to a senior law enforcement official, police also found a note near the truck that said the attack had been carried out in the name of ISIS, CNN reports. Witnesses reported that the suspect yelled "Allahu Akbar," which means "God is great" in Arabic.

After allegedly driving the rented Home Depot truck down a cycling path, Saipov is reported to have jumped out of the truck and waved fake guns before an NYPD officer shot him in the stomach.

Saipov is recovering in a hospital, where investigators are attempting to determine his motive.

The 29-year-old moved legally to the U.S. from Uzbekistan in 2010 and worked as an Uber driver in New Jersey before the attack.

Image placeholder title

New York City Mayor Bill de Blasio called the attack an act of terror, condemning Saipov.

"This was an act of terror, and a particularly cowardly act of terror," said the mayor. De Blasio added that the attack was "aimed at innocent civilians, aimed at people going about their lives who had no idea what was about to hit them."

De Blasio maintained there is no ongoing threat against the city, reports the New York Post.

"It's essential that things continue as normal," said de Blasio. "There is no ongoing threat. There is no credible and specific threat directed at New York City right now."

The mayor referred to the suspect as a "lone wolf."

"A lot of other cities would understandably be thrown by something like this, but this city -- we have so much strength," said de Blasio.

President Donald Trump also commented on the attack on Twitter.

"My thoughts, condolences, and prayers to the victims and families of the New York City terrorist attack," tweeted the president. "God and your country are with you!"

Sources: Daily Mail, New York Post, CNN / Featured Image: Matt Billings/Flickr / Embedded Photos: CNN via Daily Mail, New York City Department of Transportation/Flickr

Popular Video