Playtex Recalls 5.5 Million Children's Plates And Bowls (Photos)

Publish date:
Playtex Recalls 5.5 Million Children's Plates And Bowls (Photos) Promo Image

Playtex has announced a recall of around 5.5 million children's plates and bowls over reports the materials they were made with could present a choking hazard.

The plates, which feature designs like construction workers, princesses, superheroes and animals, are reported to have been made with a clear plastic layer over the illustrations that can peel off and become hazardous, reports Fortune.

According to Playtex, there have been 11 cases of the plastic layer being found in children's mouths, and four cases where children choked on the plastic. The company also said it had 372 reports of items where the layer began to bubble, peel or come off.

No serious injuries have been reported from the plates or bowls, The Associated Press reports.

The plates and bowls were sold at Babies R Us, Target, Walmart, Amazon and other stores from October 2009 to August 2017.

Image placeholder title

The plates and bowls are made of white polypropylene and feature a colored rim on the sides, along with a nonslip bottoms, according to the U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission. The Playtex brand name appears on the bottom of the plates and bowls.

The tableware had been sold as part of a Toddler Mealtime Set for $15, as well as individually for around $2.50 per plate. The recalled products include 3.6 million plates and bowls in the U.S. and 1.9 million in Canada, where the products were in stores since 2010.

The recall comes after a joint decision from Edgewell Personal Care, the parent organization of Playtex, the Canadian government and the USCPSC.

Playtex is offering customers a full refund for the items. The company advises consumers to stop using the products and return them to the store where they were purchased to receive their refund.

Image placeholder title

In a similar recent recall in the U.K., Cath Kidston recalled a line of bottles for children over fears that a silicone tip on the straw could lead to choking, reports Daily Mail.

The straws of the bottles, which included prints of flowers, animals and construction equipment, had a silicone tip that had a risk of coming loose and posing a choking hazard. Cath Kidston advised anyone who had bought the bottles, which had been sold since June 2017, to stop using them and bring them back to stores for a full refund.

"The bottles affected by this potential issue were on sale between June 12 2017 and August 14 2017, and fell below our rigorous quality standards," said the company in a statement. "We are voluntarily recalling this product as a precautionary measure to ensure the safety of our customers."

"No other products or drinking bottles sold by Cath Kidston are affected by this notice," the statement added, apologizing to consumers for the inconvenience.

Sources: Fortune, AP via CNBC, USCPSC, Daily Mail / Featured Image: Pudgeefeet/Flickr / Embedded Images: U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission

Popular Video