Skip to main content

Two Women Die After Sauna Door Handle Breaks (Photos)

Photos have emerged after two women were trapped in a sauna for 90 minutes after the door handle came off, killing them.

The mother and daughter, aged 65 and 45, reportedly tried to break the window on the sauna's door in order to escape, but could not shatter the glass, according to the Daily Mail. The sauna's owner discovered the two dead on the floor.

Image placeholder title

The two women were "taking a sauna at their friends' place in a garden colony" in Jicin, northeast of Prague in the Czech Republic, according to Iva Kormosova, a local police spokeswoman.

Image placeholder title

"The owner thought they were taking too long to come out so she went to check and found them lying on the floor," said Kormosova.

Emergency services declared the women dead at the scene, according to The Independent.

In a similar story in Florida, a 68-year-old man was found horribly burned after sitting in a malfunctioning sauna for hours, according to New York Daily News.

Dennis Antiporek was found dead and charred, with chunks of skin missing by family members, one of which was his daughter, Lara Antiporek.

"I close my eyes and I just see his face charred," said Dennis' wife, Ronnie Antiporek. "And this sounds horrible, but there was skin on the floor and on the bench, and we shouldn't have had to see that."

Investigators have said that they believe the timer in the sauna malfunctioned along with the sauna's coils, which caused the temperatures inside to become much hotter than usual.

"He was totally broiled," said attorney Joseph Madalon. "His skin had fallen off his body. There were huge chunks of skin on the sauna floor. He literally looked like jerky."

The image of their dead loved one has reportedly continued to haunt Dennis' family.

"I can't get that image out of my head. I can't get that smell... I don't want to eat, I don't want to do anything. Because all I can think about is being in that sauna and that heat and seeing the most important man in my life dried up into nothing," said Lara.

The Sauna Place advises those who use saunas to exercise common sense while inside. Prolonged sweating can lead to dehydration and loss of electrolytes from the body, and can even cause heat stroke in those who are sensitive to it.

The website also advises those who are pregnant to ask their physician before using a sauna, and says that children should be supervised inside the machine. Those who are drunk or under the influence of drugs should not use a sauna, the website says.

Sources: Daily Mail, The Independent, New York Daily News, Sauna Place / Photo credit: Thomas Wanhoff/Flickr, Daily Mail

Popular Video