A newborn baby sustained second-degree burns while getting a routine test at a hospital in Houston, Texas (video below).
Spencer Lewandoski’s baby daughter was getting a routine phenylketonuria test when a nurse burned her, reports Click2Houston.
“They got a diaper and filled it full of water and put it in the microwave and then applied to my baby's ankle and foot, which caused second-degree — severe second-degree — burns,” Lewandowski said. With the PKU test being so common, the nurse who administered it is now facing scrutiny from the hospital and the Lewandowski family.
“The nurse took a diaper, wet it and put in a microwave and then put it on the baby's heel and hurt the heel,” Lewandowski’s representative, Tim Culberson, said. “I've been representing children with injuries for 16 years and I've never heard of this happening.”
St. Joseph Medical Center, where the incident occurred, released a statement after news of the baby’s condition began to spread.
“At St. Joseph Medical Center, the safety and care of our patients is our utmost concern,” the statement read. “We are aware of the complaint, and are conducting a thorough investigation that is ongoing. The hospital is committed to providing high quality health services to the communities we serve."