Officials are investigating the death of a 1-year-old girl in Utah who might have overdosed on heroin on Dec. 2.
Autopsy results "indicated that Penny [Cormani] had a lethal amount of [heroin] and that Codine was also present,” search warrants stated, according to The Salt Lake Tribune.
The girl and her parents were staying with two people in Provo, Utah.
Police reportedly discovered "burnt foil with residue and burnt straws" in the room where Penny's parents were staying. Downstairs “was a razor blade on an end table that had a white residue on one side,” according to the search warrants.
A resident of the home told police “he had observed both [of Penny's parents] using straws to inhale their prescriptions.”
Penny’s parents denied using any illegal drugs and claimed one of the residents owned the paraphernalia discovered by police.
According to court documents, however, the parents and homeowners all have drug histories, KSL.com reports.
Moreover, two days after Penny died, another drug overdose was reported at a home where her father was present. Police discovered heroin in his backpack and socks. Cormani told authorities he was hiding the drugs on behalf of the overdose victim.
Police later charged Cormani and his wife with possession of drug paraphernalia, among other charges. The homeowner and his wife face similar charges.
However, nobody as of yet has been arrested or charged in connection with Penny’s death.
Penny was reportedly playing downstairs on the morning of Dec. 2 while her mother did laundry. Richards said she gave Penny a bottle of milk and put the child down for a nap at 11 a.m.
When Richards checked on Penny about an hour later, she allegedly discovered her daughter had discolored lips and was not responding. After Richards attempted CPR and called 911, paramedics took Penny to the hospital, where was later pronounced dead.