Authorities in Allegan, Michigan, launched an investigation after evidence pointed to a caregiver as the reason for the tragic death of a disabled 4-year-old.
Ryley Maue, who died on Aug. 26 from seizures related to Cerebral Palsy, was supposed to be given liquid Valium to help control the seizures. Instead, his nurse was caught cutting the medication with water or other liquids in order to replace it.
The watered-down medicine was not effective enough to stop the life threatening seizures that killed the boy.
The nurse is reportedly under investigation for a similar situation involving similar allegations.
"It's the most cruel thing ever imagined," the boy's mother told WOODTV.
"You never would think that somebody would just do that to a handicapped child on life support."
At the time of his death, Ryley had learned to roll over and sit up completely on his own. The boy's mother said that both her sons have Cerebral Palsy and both were taking liquid Valium. The mom received help from two in-home nurses, and it was the daytime nurse who noticed that the liquid Valium had been watered down.
Ryley's mother called authorities and reported the theft, but did not have any suspicion that the nighttime nurse was behind it.
"I would have never thought of a nurse doing something like that," the mother said. "You're supposed to trust a nurse."
"I would love to see her get prosecuted, go to prison for a long time," the boy's mother added.
The nurse was not identified in the incident, pending an investigation.
A recent study showed that although Valium is not classified the same as narcotics like heroin and Oxycontin, deaths caused by overdoses of Valium have surged in the past few years.
"As more benzodiazepines were prescribed, more people have died from overdoses involving these drugs," the study's author, Dr. Joanna Starrels, told CBS News.
"In 2013, more than 5 percent of American adults filled prescriptions for benzodiazepines. And the overdose death rate increased more than four times from 1996 to 2013."