Skip to main content

Poll: Most Believe Trump Is Changing Washington

New polling indicates Americans are mixed on whether or not President Donald Trump is bringing genuine change to Washington, D.C.

While one survey found that a majority did believe the president was changing the culture of the nation's capital, another found that the majority are less convinced.

In October 2016, Trump pledged during a rally in Wisconsin that he would transform the U.S. government, making it more accountable and efficient.

"It is time to drain the swamp in Washington, D.C.," Trump said, according to NPR. "This is why I'm proposing a package of ethics reforms to make our government honest once again."

On April 26, a CBS News poll found that 54 percent of national adults believed that Trump was indeed changing the nation's capital while 30 percent said that it was changing him, CBS News reports.

Breaking down the data, 67 percent of GOP-leaning respondents said Trump was changing Washington while 49 percent of both Democratic-leaning and Independent respondents agreed.

The survey found that the majority of respondents did not approve of Trump installing his daughter, Ivanka, and son-in-law, Jared Kushner, into White House positions. Only 10 percent of respondents said this was a good thing while 48 percent did not approve.

Only 4 percent of respondents thought that Trump's weekly trips to his Mar-a-Lago resort in Palm Beach, Florida, were a positive thing while 40 percent disapproved. Of those polled, 53 percent did not believe that the frequent trips mattered either way.

On April 26, a Fox News poll found that a majority of registered voters did not believe that Trump was changing Washington, D.C.

Only 43 percent of respondents said the president was succeeding in his pledge to bring real change to the nation's capital while 50 percent believed he was failing.

Overall, 45 percent of registered voters approved of Trump's job performance while 48 percent disapproved. Meanwhile, 81 percent of respondents who had cast a ballot for Trump said that they would definitely or probably vote to reelect him in 2020 while the remaining 19 percent said they would not or were undecided.

Part of changing Washington D.C. involves the president working effectively with Congress. Other polling indicates that Americans' confidence in Trump dealing with both the House and the Senate has waned since he assumed office.

In December 2016, the Pew Research Center found that 60 percent of national adults believed that Trump could work effectively with the GOP-majority Congress. In a survey released on April 17, that confidence had dropped to just 46 percent.

Sources: CBS News, Fox News, NPRPew Research Center / Photo credit: Gage Skidmore/Flickr

Popular Video