An Ohio girl was found with a window blind cord wrapped around her neck, not breathing, after she was left unattended for only a few minutes.
Gahanna police received a call on April 12 from Whitney Hanna about her 3-year-old daughter who was found unconscious. Authorities found the girl in the family's living room lying on the floor with her legs stretched and arms extended out at her sides.
Police used CPR chest compressions on Roselyn "Rosie" Mae Hanna before she was rushed to Nationwide Children's Hospital where she died on April 16.
Whitney told cops that she was attending to her 2-year-old son in another room for about five minutes when she discovered Rosie strangled by the cord.
"I observed no hazardous conditions or indications of neglect," according to the police report.
A memorial service for Rosie is scheduled for April 20.
Window blinds can be a risk for young children and have been known to cause death by strangulation. The U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission said almost one child dies per month in the U.S. from window cord asphyxiation and many more are hospitalized, according to WSYX.
There have been nearly 600 window-blind cord strangulations of children over the past 30 years, according to The Columbus Dispatch.
"We want to end the uncertainty and we want to end the deaths, and the only way to do that is to have safe products on store shelves," said Consumer Product Safety Commission Chairman Elliot Kaye.
Though there are advanced safety measures like breakaway devices, children are still injured or killed due to cords that remain on some blinds in homes, according to The Columbus Dispatch.
"It can happen very quickly and when it does it's often fatal," said Tracy Mehan, who works at the research institute of Nationwide Children's Hospital.
The window-blind industry contends corded blinds are needed in some cases and new safety features can prevent such tragedies.
But Chairman Kaye is pushing for a complete ban on corded window blinds, according to WSYX. Numerous superstores like Target and Ikea have already banned corded blinds from their shelves.
Other stores like Lowe's, The Home Depot and Walmart promise to remove corded blinds from stores over the next three years.