A Wendy's in Keene, New Hampshire, is investigating how a grime-covered razor blade ended up in a young girl's soda cup.
Aubrey Simonds was eating at the fast-food chain with her daughter, Taylor, when she noticed the razor blade sitting at the bottom of Taylor's drink.
"I am beside myself, sick to my stomach, shaky, disgusted and so THANKFUL my child didn't get hurt from this," Simonds wrote in a widely-shared Facebook post. "The district manager is starting an investigation so I'm glad they are taking this seriously as things could have been much worse but my poor little girl drank whatever nastiness this is!"
The young girl had consumed about a quarter of the drink before the blade was discovered, according to the Daily Mail.
Simonds confirmed later that Taylor was not at all harmed.
The restaurant, as well as the city of Keene, launched investigations into the disturbing incident.
Keene's acting health director, John L. Rogers, has given an explanation. He told the Keene Sentinel that he believes the razor blade was used by an employee of an outside cleaning company to clean the grills in the restaurant's kitchen the previous night, according to the Daily Mail.
An employee then placed the razor blade it in a cup so that nobody would cut themselves on it, reports Business Insider. The cup was not thrown away, however, and the next day it was filled with soda and given to the young girl.
The investigation is still ongoing, and Rogers has mandated that the Wendy's in question go over its training procedures to ensure that similar incidents do not happen in the future.
The director of operations at eLanes Restaurants, which runs that particular Wendy's, stated that she had personally apologized to Simonds, and furthermore that no razor blades will be used in the restaurant going forward.