A woman from Prairieville, Louisiana, was arrested on May 8 on counts of negligent injuring and cruelty to juveniles after her 2-year-old was hospitalized for eating methamphetamine.
Tyler Dauzat, 21, took her toddler to a local hospital because the child's behavior was extreme and erratic, according to WGNO.
She told hospital workers she did not know what was causing her child's behavior, but a blood screen revealed a significant amount of methamphetamine.
Dauzat admitted to Gonzales police investigators that she had the powder form of crystal meth in purse and that her child had been left alone with the purse in a room at a local hotel before going to the hospital, The New Orleans Advocate reports.
In addition to the charges of negligent injuring and cruelty to juveniles, Dauzat also faces charges of illegal use of a controlled substance in the presence of a juvenile and improper supervision of a minor, according to Sgt. Steven Nethken of the Gonzales Police Department.
This is not the first case in which a young child eaten drugs left out by parents. In 2010 a 2-year-old from Arizona vanished. It was later revealed he may have ingested Klonopin and died, with investigators believing his mother and maternal grandmother hid his body, reports Inquisitr.
In 2012, a 2-year-old boy in Washington died after ingesting crystal meth and drinking bong water, reports Inquisitr. Toxicology reports indicated the child had ingested enough meth to overdose an adult.
Dauzat is currently being held in lieu of $50,000 bail in Ascension Parish. The Department of Family and Child Services is involved regarding custody of Dauzat's 2-year-old as well as another child of hers, who is 4 years old.
Police are continuing to investigate the case, and have said that additional charges against Dauzat may be coming.