Investigators are trying to determine if four deaths in New York, Boston and Washington, D.C., are linked to a bad batch of a club drug known as “Molly.”
Three of the deaths happened on August 31, according to Fox News. Two people died at the Electric Zoo music festival on New York's Randall's Island, forcing city officials to cancel the final day of proceedings. That same day, in Washington, D.C., 19-year-old University of Virginia student Mary Goldsmith collapsed at a rave concert at a local nightclub called Echo Stage. She was rushed to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead after attempts to revive her failed.
Joseph Moses, a special agent with the U.S. Drug Enforcement Administration, said the market is saturated with synthetic drugs, many coming from China, that can be bought online. “Molly for years has been the generally accepted street name for ecstasy,” Moses said in a Washington Post story. “In the past, if you ordered up Molly, you got ecstasy. That’s no longer true.”
DEA spokesman Rusty Payne noted there have been spikes of overdose deaths across the country linked to these kinds of drugs. “A bad guy can put whatever they want on the packaging,” Payne said. “Half the time, they’re throwing ‘Molly’ on the label and they don’t know what the stuff is.”
Fox News also reports that in addition to the August 31 deaths, three days earlier, another 19-year-old, Brittany Flannigan, a student at Plymouth State University in New Hampshire, took a fatal overdose while attending a concert at the House of Blues in Boston.
“There’s no ‘good batch’ of molly, MDMA, Ecstasy,” said Anthony Pettigrew, a spokesman for the DEA New England division, according to the Boston Herald. “This is stuff that’s made in somebody’s bathtub in either Asia, the Netherlands, Canada, you have no idea what is in this stuff. Dealers want to make more money, so they’ll mix and adulterate the stuff with meth and any number of other drugs to addict people to it.”