Florida Man Dies After Cockroach Eating Contest (Video)


A Florida man died just minutes after winning a cockroach eating contest (video below).

Edward Archbold, 32, won the "Midnight Madness" insect eating contest at Ben Siegel Reptiles in Deerfield Beach, Florida, after facing off against 20 to 30 other contestants, reports CNN.

The contest offered an $850 python as a prize for the person who ate the most cockroaches and worms.

After Archbold declared victory, he stepped outside of the reptile store and began to vomit, reported the Broward County Sheriff's Office. He collapsed and a friend called for assistance before Archbold called 911 himself.

An ambulance rushed him to North Broward Medical Center, where he was soon pronounced dead.

According to the sheriff's office, no other contestants became ill after the event.

"Very saddened by this," Ben Siegel, owner of the reptile store, told WPLG. "I mean, it was a shock. Eddie was a very nice guy. We just met him that night, but everybody that works here was very fond of him."

According to a Facebook post by Luke Lirot, who legally represents the store, all contestants signed waivers before competing, saying that they accept "responsibility for their participation in this unique and unorthodox contest."

Sources: CNNYouTube / Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons

Popular Video