Skip to main content

Man Fatally Falls After Eating Pot Cookie In Colorado’s First Marijuana-Related Death

The autopsy of a 19-year-old who fell off the balcony of a Denver hotel earlier this month reveals he is Colorado’s first marijuana-related death since the drug became legal in January.

The report, released Wednesday, says Levy Thamba, a student from Wyoming, died from the March 11 fall but lists “marijuana intoxication” as a “significant condition” that contributed to his death.

Thamba, a native of the Republic of Congo, was taking classes at Northwest College in Powell, Wyo., as an exchange student in January. His educational focus was engineering and advanced mathematics, according to school officials.

He was reportedly visiting Denver on spring break with several other classmates.

He was staying at the Holiday Inn Denver East, where he and at least one other person consumed a marijuana cookie.

Denver Office of the Medical Examiner spokeswoman Michelle Weiss-Samaras said that shortly after they ate it, “another kid got sick and [Thamba] had this happen.”

"That's all we had," Weiss-Samaras said. "He was fine, he was normal, he was an easy-going kid, and then he ate this cookie and went over the balcony. And this was not a kid who was suicidal."

While his death is “a little unique,” she said, everyone, especially parents, should know the risks.

"We don't know how this will affect you," she said. "We all react differently."

Sources: WWMT, Westword


Popular Video