A Missouri dad tragically died in front of his 11-year-old son last week after being bitten by a copperhead snake on a camping trip.
Reports say that 52-year-old Timothy Levins was camping with his family at Sam A. Baker State Park when he encountered a copperhead snake. Levins pointed out the snake to his son and proceeded to pick it up. Immediately, the snake, which authorities say was between 18 and 20 inches, bit Levins two or three times in the right hand. Levins’ 11-year-old son says his dad then went inside their cabin to wash his hands, and as he sat down on the couch, he began shaking uncontrollably.
Levins’ 13-year-old daughter reportedly called for help when her father began to shake and pass out, and someone in a neighboring cabin attempted CPR. 14 minutes later, an ambulance arrived, but tragically, Levins was pronounced dead at a local hospital.
Medical examiners say that the cause of death was from anaphylactic shock rather than the snake bite itself, and as Sara Turner with the Missouri Department of Conservation explains, most people don’t generally die from the actual bite.
“Most of the time when people die from a copperhead bite, which is usually what they say, it’s usually not from the actual bite, it’s because they had a previous medical condition," said Turner to KFVS.
Reports say that this is the third reported death from a copperhead snakebite in the state of Missouri.
Sources: Daily Mail, KFVS, St. Louis Post-Dispatch