When Roger Branstetter bit into his mashed potatoes at an Outback Steakhouse, what he found himself chewing wasn’t the typically smooth, creamy texture of mashed potatoes.
Instead, it was allegedly a forkful of mashed potatoes sprinkled with broken glass.
Branstetter broke two of his teeth on the bits of porcelain that were mixed into the dish. Under his dentist’s advice, he had to have both molars removed and replaced with dental implants.
Fortunately, he did not ingest the glass. Had the glass punctured the esophagus, stomach, or intestines, the meal could have turned fatal.
Branstetter is now suing Evergreen Restaurant Group, which owns the Outback Steakhouse franchise, for the damages incurred on the February 17, 2012 visit.
In the lawsuit, filed last week, Branstetter stated that the steakhouse manager admitted that a dinner plate had broken in the kitchen. Furthermore, the manager knew that the broken glass fell into the mashed potatoes.
As the suit describes, the manager and staff were negligent in failing to throw out the tainted potatoes. The restaurant’s employees should have informed the customers of the broken plate, allowing them to “make their own informed decision regarding whether to eat food that might contain sharp, hard, dangerous, and potentially deadly pieces of a broken plate.”
Jason Bender, a managing partner of Evergreen Restaurant Group, said that the company has been open since 1997, and that never before has this kind of an incident occurred. He stated that the company “values safety”, and seeks to keep customers and employees alike safe.
“It’s really disappointing when someone gets hurt inside the restaurant,” said Bender.
Branstetter is seeking $48,000 in damages in Multnomah County Circuit Court.
Photo Source: http://www.sameerseats.com