A man who pulled the pin from a grenade for the sake of a photo was killed instantly when the explosive detonated in his hand. (Warning: The photos below are graphic.)
Police say that Alexander "Sasha" Chechik's death appears accidental, as he had sent several photos of himself holding the grenade to friends before his death. Authorities believe Chechik was showing off for friends and was not suicidal.
Before his death, a friend messaged Chechik asking him where he was and if he was OK, according to Daily Mail.
"Depends on what OK is in your understanding?" Chechik replied, attaching a photo of the grenade in his hand with the pin out, sitting between his legs.
"Listen, don't do stupid things. Where are you?" the friend replied.
Before Chechik had the chance to respond, the grenade exploded.
Police believe Chechik was under the impression the grenade would not explode unless he threw it, according to Daily Mail.
A gruesome police photo of the scene shows Chechik dead in his car, the lower half of his body devastated and covered in blood. The roof of his car and the dashboard also appear damaged in the photo.
Chechik, 26, was from the town of Labinsk in the Krasnodar region of Russia, according to The Sun. It is unclear how he obtained the grenade.
Some commenters on Daily Mail's Facebook page expressed doubt regarding the police theory that Chechik's death was an accident.
"They don't think there's anything dodgy?? When he says 'depends what OK is in your understanding' and then is dead a few moments later?" wrote one commenter. "It'd say that sounds like he fully intended to kill himself and knew exactly what removing the pin would do."
Other commenters said Chechik should be nominated for a Darwin Award, a sarcastic honor named after Charles Darwin that commemorates "individuals who protect our gene pool by making the ultimate sacrifice of their own lives," according to the award's website.
"Darwin Award winners eliminate themselves in an extraordinarily idiotic manner, thereby improving our species' chances of long-term survival," the website states.
Other commenters were more sympathetic, lamenting the loss of life.
"Sad...just another example of a young person, ignorant of the things in life and taking no time to learn things before jumping right in. Prayers for his family," wrote one commenter.
"Can't believe people are laughing at this," wrote another. "He's obviously thought it wouldn't go off if he didn't throw it. Lack of knowledge maybe but someone's life."