Kansas woman Melissa Ann Wright reportedly huffed an industrial strength duster chemical in a Walmart on Wednesday night.
Wright was wandering through the Johnson County, Kansas, store when she picked up a can of Ultra Duster, Fox 59 reported. The product is normally used to clean computers and even warns that inhaling it could cause harm or death.
“Once it enters the system it causes the heart to become super sensitive to things like adrenaline,” Tama Sawyer, the managing director of the University of Kansas Poison Control Center, told Fox 59. “So if you are frightened, you can have a heart attack.”
Sawyer added that instant frostbite can also occur in the lips, throat and mouth. To discourage huffing the product, manufacturers have added a bitter aftertaste.
Wright was spotted sniffing the product around 11 p.m., and a witness called 911. Although police called an ambulance, Wright refused to receive medical attention.
According to police, it’s rare to receive a huffing call. It’s also uncommon to charge a person with abusing toxic vapors, since other drugs have become more popular.
Experts have noted that while compressed air itself is not addicting, some people often become addicted to the way it makes them feel. Apparently, the high for canned air is similar to that of drunkenness.
Wright could face charges for the incident.
Photo Credit: Wiki Commons