Skip to main content

Inflammable Indian Infant Diagnosed With Spontaneous Human Combustion Disorder

A 3-month-old Indian infant is now being kept in the pediatric intensive care unit at Kilpauk Medical College and Hospital after it has been determined that he suffers from Spontaneous Human Combustion (SHC). Baby Rahul has had four incidents where he broke into flames for no apparent reason. The first time it happened, his mother was blamed. People thought that "[I] set him on fire deliberately," said Rajeswari.

Only 200 cases of SHC have been reported in the world in the last 300 years.

“The body burns spontaneously due to combustible gases emitting from the patient’s body, without any external source of ignition,” said Dr. R. Narayana Babu, the head of the pediatrics department at Kilpauk. “Clothes and other things nearby that are inflammable may also catch fire.”

In order to help prevent any further incidents, a bucket of water and fire extinguisher are at the ready next to Rahul’s bedside, Newser reported.

“An episode may or may not recur," Babu said. It’s like any other burn injury, with the likelihood of scars and secondary infections. Plastic surgery is also expected to be done. The relatives or parents have to always keep an eye on the baby. Matchsticks, crackers or anything that can catch fire should not be kept near him. We have to teach them to avoid sending the child out in the sun and specify the kinds of clothes he can wear when he grows up,"

“We visited many hospitals and finally admitted him here. Nobody knows the exact cause. We hope he will be treated at Kilpauk Medi­cal College,” said Rahul’s father, Karan. The couple also has a 2-year-old daughter.

Sources: Newser, The Deacon Chronicle


Popular Video