Police: Baby Found Unresponsive In Bathtub; Grandmother Admits To Using Heroin While Babysitting


Medics were called to a home in Cleves, Ohio, on Oct. 3 after a 4-month-old boy was found not breathing while in his grandmother's care.

Police responded to a 911 call and both Kathy Huff, 42, and her infant grandson unconscious in the bathtub, WLWT reports. It's unclear who placed the 911 call.

Huff was given Naloxone, an overdose reversal medicine that is also commonly referred to as Narcan, and she admitted to using heroin while babysitting. The infant was taken to Cincinnati Children's Hospital and, as of Oct. 5, is still in critical condition.

Huff is facing felony charges of child endangerment. She was arraigned on Oct. 5.

Huff’s daughter is standing by her mother, despite her son’s serious injuries. Judge Bernie Bouchard said in court on Oct. 5 that people who use heroin, like Huff, are powerless in the drug’s grip.

“They die, get brought back to life by Narcan and the very next day they do it again -- you just can’t control it yourself,” Bouchard said.

Huff is currently being held on  $200,000 bond, but if she is released, she has been ordered to stay way from the child. 

A grand jury will consider the charges against Huff next week.

Sources: WKRC, WLWT / Photo Credit: Screenshot/WLWT, Police photo


Popular Video