Skip to main content

Grandma Poisons Herself, Family After Making Expired Hot Chocolate


An Italian grandmother unintentionally sent her family to the hospital after serving them tainted hot chocolate, according to the Daily Mail.

The 77-year-old woman, known as Mrs. Rosetta, served the hot chocolate to her husband, their son, their grandchildren and a friend of the grandchildren. Unbeknownst to her, the chocolate had expired 25 years ago.

Within an hour of drinking it, the woman's husband became sick. Soon after, the group found themselves violently ill, with upset stomachs and vomiting.

Officials were able to trace their illness back to the hot chocolate sachets, which were found to have expired in 1990.

According to the Daily Mail, Mrs. Rosetta likely bought the sachets some time in the late '80s "before the fall of the Berlin Wall and the Tiananmen Square protests, and while Margaret Thatcher was still Prime Minister."

The family members were taken to the hospital after falling ill, and one of the youngest was treated for 20 days.

Mrs. Rosetta has since been charged with causing injury despite the incident being an accident.

Though cocoa and sugar do not usually go bad over time, powdered milk can expire after long periods, especially when exposed to heat and/or liquid, according to the Daily Mail. 

Source: The Daily Mail / Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons


Popular Video