Skip to main content

Teen Dies Electrocuting Herself In Bathtub (Photos)

Teen Dies Electrocuting Herself In Bathtub (Photos) Promo Image

A New Mexico teen has died after electrocuting herself in the bathtub while trying to charge her phone.

The death occurred on July 9 in the victim's father's Lovington home, KCBD reported. Madison Coe, 14, either plugged her phone into a charger, or grabbed her phone while it was plugged in as she sat in a bathtub and electrocuted herself, according to the victim's family.

Madison's grandmother, Donna O'Guinn, was heartbroken.

"I call her my shining star," O'Guinn told KCBD. "She was very smart. Very good student in school. She just loved life.

"She was just sweet to everybody and everybody loved her."

Image placeholder title

When O'Guinn found Madison, she noticed something on her granddaughter's hand that provided a hint as to what may have happened.

"There was a burn mark on her hand, the hand that would have grabbed the phone. And that was just very obvious that that’s what had happened," O'Guinn explained.

"This is such a tragedy that doesn’t need to happen to anyone else," O'Guinn continued. "And we want something good to come out of this as awareness of not using your cell phone in the bathroom as it is plugged in and charging."

Madison recently graduated from the eighth grade at Terra Vista Middle School, where she played basketball and participated in the school's band.

Image placeholder title

The school district issued a statement on the teen's tragic death.

"It is with heavy hearts that Frenship ISD mourns the loss of Madison Coe," the statement read. "We wish to share our heartfelt sympathy with her family and friends as we carry the burden of this tragedy together."

O'Guinn now hopes Madison's story will help prevent the next accident.

"It’s overwhelming to realize that there are people that we don’t even know and we’ll probably never even meet that have taken this message and shared it to protect another child or even an adult," O'Guinn said. "We don’t want to lose anybody."

"We need to be aware. We need to teach our children that electricity and water do not mix," the grandmother added. "She’s just going to be greatly missed by all of us. She has a special place in my heart."

A GoFundMe page was created by the family to help cover funeral costs. The page has raised $900 of its $5,000 goal in just one day.

"I know funerals are very expensive. Please help my aunt and uncle out with the expenses," the description reads. "It is so hard losing a loved one, but especially a child so young. Thank you."

A service will be held for Madison in Lubbock, Texas, on July 15.

Sources: KCBD, GoFundMe / Photo credit: Andre Chinn/FlickrFamily Members via KCBD

Popular Video