Fitness Blogger Killed By Exploding Whipped Cream (Photos)

The popular French fitness blogger Rebecca Burger has been killed in a freak accident.

It happened at Burger's home in eastern France on June 17, when an exploding whipped cream dispenser hit her in the chest, causing the 33-year-old to have a fatal heart attack, reports the Daily Mail.

Her death was announced by her family on social media, where her fitness posts had amassed about 55,000 Facebook fans and 154,000 Instagram followers, observes the BBC.

In the announcement, the family shared a photograph of the dispenser which killed her, and explained exactly what happened.

"This is an example of the cream siphon which exploded and hit Rebecca's thorax, causing her death," noted the caption, which included a warning: "Don't use this product in your homes! Tens of thousands of the faulty devices are already in circulation."

Image placeholder title

A whipped cream dispenser uses nitrous oxide gas, which expels the contents from the metal container under high pressure. It is the same as the "laughing gas" that dentists use to sedate patients; it is also used in race car engines to give them an extra boost.

There have been previous warnings about faulty connectors on the gas capsules causing them to explode, notes the BBC, citing the consumer magazine 60 Millions.

Image placeholder title

Reported injuries from defective whipped cream dispensers include eye injuries, broken teeth, broken bones, tinnitus -- and now the death of Rebecca Burger.

Perhaps the most notorious whipped cream-related disaster happened in August 2016, when there was a huge explosion at the Airgas Nitrous Oxide company in Florida, as reported in The Atlantic.

The explosion killed plant employee Jesse Graham Folmar, 32, who was filling a nitrous oxide tanker when it blew up and flung his body 75 feet into the air. In addition to killing Folmar, it led to a nationwide shortage of Reddi-Wip, the leading brand of whipped cream.

Airgas Nitrous Oxide's Florida plant was closed as a result of the explosion, and its two other American facilities were unable to meet the demand of all of the company's corporate customers. It was therefore forced to provide its reduced output to the medical industry and other clients who took priority over the the popular dessert topping.

“Airgas Nitrous Oxide is making all possible efforts to remedy the situation as quickly as possible,” the company said in an statement. “Serving our medical customers is our first priority in this situation. We are providing reduced product quantities to customers in the food industry until supply has stabilized.”

As for Rebecca Burger, her tragic death is being mourned by her many fans, including Women's Best, the online health store that Burger promoted online.

"We are sorry to announce the sad news of losing this beautiful soul," the store said in a statement. "Our french athlete Rebecca Burger passed away. Rebecca was not only a great fitness figure but a generous and kind person to work with. Please pray for her soul to rest in peace and for her family to stay strong. We will always be proud of you Rebecca."

Sources: Daily Mail,BBC, The Atlantic / Photo credit: Pixabay, Facebook via Daily Mail, Instagram via Daily Mail

Popular Video