Eric Chase Bolling Jr., the son of former Fox News host Eric Bolling, reportedly suffered from "emotional torture" in the days leading up to his sudden death.
Bolling Jr., 19, was found dead on Sept. 8, just hours after it was announced that his father had agreed to leave Fox News following a high-profile sexual harassment scandal, according to the Daily Mail.
The news was confirmed in a Sept. 9 tweet by Bolling.
"Adrienne and I are devastated by the loss of our beloved son Eric Chase last night," he wrote. "Details still unclear. Thoughts, prayers appreciated."
Bolling Sr., who had been with Fox for the past 10 years, is accused by three female colleagues of sending them unsolicited text messages of a sexual nature, including images of male genitalia. The network suspended Bolling Sr. before announcing that his program, "The Specialists," was cancelled and that he had agreed to resign.
"Fox News Channel is canceling The Specialists, and Eric Bolling [Sr.] and Fox have agreed to part ways amicably," a Fox spokesperson told the Daily Mail. "We thank Eric for his ten years of service to our loyal viewers and wish him the best of luck."
While the circumstances surrounding Bolling Jr.'s death are unclear, a source with knowledge of the investigation told TMZ that he was "destroyed" by the allegations against his father. The source added that Bolling Sr. had decided to part ways with Fox earlier than he wanted to in order to save his son from further embarrassment.
"No doubt everything his father has been through lately has weighed heavily on his child," a source close to the Bolling family told the Daily Mail.
TMZ reports that Bolling Jr. was discovered in his bed underneath the covers. Police did not find a suicide note, and there were no pill bottles or drugs near his body. However, investigators believe his death was caused by an overdose of some kind.
"Nineteen-year-olds just don't go to sleep and not wake up," a source said.
Bolling Sr. continues to deny the sexual harassment allegations and has indicated that he plans to put in effort to clear his name.
"I will continue to fight against these false smear attacks! THANK YOU FOR CONTINUED SUPPORT," he tweeted in August.
Yashar Ali, the HuffPost reporter who first broke the story, announced in August that Bolling Sr. is suing him personally for $50 million.
"It's important to note that Bolling [Sr.'s] summons does not include HuffPost -- he is coming after me personally. I'm a big boy … but very telling," Ali tweeted recently, according to the Daily Mail.
He added: "Not going to stop reporting on Eric Bolling [Sr.]or anyone else. I've had family members killed/jailed in Iran, a lawsuit isn't going to scare me."
Bolling Sr.'s lawsuit states that he is seeking $50 million in damages over "the defendant's efforts to injure the plaintiff's reputation through the intentional and/or highly reckless publication of actionable false and misleading statements about the plaintiff's conduct and character."