Baby Dies In Bath After Mom Falls Asleep

Author:
Publish date:
Baby Dies In Bath After Mom Falls Asleep Promo Image

Police arrested a Florida mother after her 10-month-old son died while she was sleeping in the bathtub with him on Dec. 6. She had reportedly been drinking.

Rosa Regina Feeney, 35, now faces aggravated manslaughter of a child and child neglect charges, reports WKMG.

She is currently being held in the local county jail on a $60,000 bond, and is expected to stand before a judge at the jail on Jan. 23, Florida Today reports.

Feeney was staying at the DeAngelo’s By the Sea hotel when she allegedly placed her son in the tub with her, reports Florida Today.

Having consumed alcohol, Feeney fell asleep in the tub. She reportedly woke up to find the baby unresponsive and ran to seek help.

Image placeholder title

By the time authorities arrived, they found Feeny performing CPR on the child. Police say Feeney still seemed to be intoxicated.

After being hospitalized, the infant was pronounced dead.

It's not the first time a child has died after an inebriated mother fell asleep.

A newborn baby in England died after being smothered to death while sleeping in the same bed as his mother, reports Metro.

Image placeholder title

Amy Leigh Howell, 30, says she rarely drank. However, on Dec. 29, 2017, she had put her 2-and-a-half month-old baby into a Moses basket in her bedroom before she consumed alcohol. She says she continued checking on the baby "every 10 to 15 minutes."

In the morning, she awoke to find that she and her partner had drunkenly fall asleep with the baby, Teneil, in their bed. The baby was reportedly unresponsive.

He was rushed to the hospitalized where he died only 13 minutes after being admitted, the Daily Mail reports.

Doctors later found the baby suffered four fractured ribs, which appeared to have been caused by accidental suffocation from a sleeping adult.

"This is clearly a tragic loss of a very young life and I’m mindful of the suffering for the family," said Coroner Susan Duncan. "However, Teneil’s death highlights the risks associated with infants co-sleeping with an adult, particularly where the adult has a reduced awareness. I hope the publicity touching this tragic death will alert parents to the impact of not sleeping with an infant."

As neither Howell nor her partner remember how the baby got in the bed, the Crown Prosecution Service decided not to prosecute due to a lack of evidence.

However, Howell does admit to being "smashed" prior to the incident. 

Sources: WKMGFlorida Today, Metro, Daily Mail / Featured Image: Ytrottier/Wikimedia Commons / Embedded Images: Evan-Amos/Wikimedia CommonsA. Savin/Wikimedia Commons

Popular Video