Florida resident Meaghan Banach is recovering after she spent several days in intensive care following two snake bites.
Although Banach has lived in Durbin Crossing, Florida, for almost two years and has seen snakes in her backyard, she never thought she’d get bitten by a water moccasin. But that’s exactly what happened when she was getting ready to bathe her dog one day.
Banach said that as she reached for the garden hose in her backyard, a venomous water moccasin bit her twice. Normally, a minor or moderate bite from that type of snake can be treated with 18 vials of antivenom. Banach needed more than 30 vials, reported AJC.com.
“It was very painful,” Banach said, reported Rare. “I had natural labor with my daughter, and it was worse than that.”
Banach has had two weeks to recover since the incident, though she still has trouble walking. Since then, she has warned neighbors to take caution in their yards.
“My kids don’t get to go in the backyard anymore, which is awful,” Nikki Smith, a neighbor, said. “It’s summer, today is the last day of school.”
Banach said that she’s thankful her 4-year-old son and her dog weren’t bitten by the snake. Banach also noted her regret of not being more aware of her surroundings.
A GoFundMe page has since been created to help Banach with ICU costs.
Photo Credit: Wikimedia Commons