A Prarieville, Louisiana, mother was arrested after she admitted that her baby ingested meth after being left alone with it in a hotel room.
Tyler Dauzat took her 2-year-old child to the hospital after the toddler began exhibiting strange behavior, and a blood screening revealed traces of meth in the child's system. Doctors concluded that the baby had eaten the drug.
Initially, the 21-year-old mother was uncooperative with doctors and Department of Children and Family Services employees about how the baby came into contact with the drug. She later admitted to investigators that she had the powdered meth in her purse while at the hotel and had left her baby alone with it.
Daunt was arrested on counts of negligent injuring and cruelty to juveniles, as well as counts of illegal use of a controlled dangerous substance in the presence of a juvenile and improper supervision of a minor, the New Orleans Advocate reported.
The Department of Children and Family Services soon began an investigation and is determining the custody situation of the 2-year-old as well as her 4-year-old child.
The story quickly went viral, with many readers calling for the children to be taken away from their mother due to her negligence.
“I dont think she deserves these children! I mean look she wouldnt even tell the dr's what her daughter had gotten ahold of! All because she didnt want to get in trouble she would let her child die! Please do not give them back to her!” one reader commented on AWM.
“I'm sorry, I'm all for children for staying with their parents, unless a child is in potential danger, like this situation, then the children should be removed. There is nothing safe about a child with a meth head or any other dangerous and addictive drugs,” another wrote.
“Please don't give those children back to her, there must be a relative who could take them, until the mother can smarten up and change her life with help,” another reader added.